SB Nation BlogPoll: Week Two
September 7, 2010
Riddick & Reynolds Ballot – Week 2
|1||Alabama Crimson Tide||–|
|2||Ohio St. Buckeyes||–|
|3||Boise St. Broncos||–|
|6||TCU Horned Frogs||1|
|13||Virginia Tech Hokies||-5|
|14||Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets||2|
|16||Penn St. Nittany Lions||-1|
|19||Oregon St. Beavers||4|
|22||Florida St. Seminoles||3|
|24||South Carolina Gamecocks||–|
|25||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||–|
|Dropouts: USC Trojans, LSU Tigers, North Carolina Tar Heels|
SB Nation BlogPoll College Football Top 25 Rankings »
My train of thought for the movement in my poll (that’s what she said):
- I dropped out USC for the absolutely piss-poor job their defense did against Hawaii. They went from a team that looked dominant on defense a couple of years ago to the Keystone Cops.
- I don’t believe in the “ladder system” of ranking teams. Some folks will automatically move teams up when they win and down when they lose. I try to determine if I feel like–more or less–every team above the one just below it would win majority of 10 games played on a neutral field. It’s not perfect, but I believe in that method more than the ladder system. As such, I removed BOTH LSU and UNC from the poll. LSU may have won the game, but they looked horrible in the second half doing it. UNC lost, but moreso is the fact the news out of Chapel Hill continues to get worse, and with John Blake stepping down, I think the team psyche will begin to unravel.
- I upgraded the Arizona Wildcats and South Carolina Gamecocks into the rankings based on what I saw of them on television. AZ has some serious playmakers and USC looks solid on both sides of the ball for the first time under Spurrier.
- Notre Dame beat Purdue, but earned my #25 vote moreso on how much I think of Brian Kelly as a coach. I think he’ll do wonders for them with all the Notre Dame talent left for him by Charlie Weiss.
- Oregon stomped a mudhole in New Mexico. Period.
Feel free to discuss in the comments section.